This action, transversal to the work carried out by the Observatory, undertakes a specific study on adaptation to climate change in the Pyrenees to identify and assess the most relevant procedures in the field, carried out in the Pyrenees as well as Europe, to be applied across borders.
Motivated by the collaboration initiated with the AEE and similar work carried out in the Alps, a study shall be conducted to identify and analyse all adaptation procedures existing in the Pyrenees and Europe (with certain predefined criteria) to assess which of these may be most effectively applied throughout the mountain region.
This action shall serve to analyse, understand, and guide the strategic choices to be made in the Pyrenees in terms of adaptation. Consequently, it can aid and assist the more vulnerable territories of the mountain range adapt to climate change.
The aim of this study is to collaborate in adapting the Pyrenees mountain regions to climate change in order to ensure the continuity of priority socioeconomic activities (following the logic of ‘minimal impact’) and preserve the more vulnerable natural environments.
In the longer term, this study aims to contribute toward developing strategies and scenarios for territories regarding climate change adaptation in the mountain regions.
- identify and analyse the most relevant procedures carried out in the field, both in the Pyrenees and Europe;
- make assessments to contribute in the dissemination of good practices in the Pyrenees (across borders).
To this end, the study responds to the 4 operational objectives listed below:
- identify the impacts of climate change (past and future predictions) in the Pyrenees that might affect socioeconomic activities and natural environments and understand their vulnerability;
- make an inventory of existing adaptation procedures for priority socioeconomic activities in the Pyrenees mountain regions (vulnerability, economic weight, expected impact, etc.);
within the Pyrenees
at a national (France/Spain/Andorra) and European level
- analyse and characterise compiled procedures to identify measures and practices that can be replicated in the Pyrenees to support the continuity of priority socioeconomic activities and thereby moderate vulnerability to climate change;
- raise awareness and inform different stakeholders in the Pyrenees about climate change, its impact, and the adaptation procedures that can be applied in the mountain regions.
- identify socioeconomic activities and natural environments that are especially vulnerable to climate change in the Pyrenees;
- compile and assess adaptation procedures carried out in the Pyrenees;
- compile and assess adaptation procedures carried out in Europe;
- create medium to inform, raise awareness, and spread good practice among stakeholders involved in the territory and the general public.
1. Prepare study specifications, place call for proposals, and select tenderer.
2. Define Overseeing Committee for the study.
3. Prepare an interim report and brochure to raise awareness (experiences in the Pyrenees).
4. Prepare a final report and a second report to aid in implementing adaptation procedures.
5. Participate in events, organize a meeting to assess and present results.
Groupement ACTeon – BC3 – Fresh Thoughts
• Communauté de Travail des Pyrénées