To ensure implementation of the Observatory’s work, members of the CTP agreed upon the presentation principle of a project (Project OPCC) proposed by the CTP at the second call for projects of the Operational Programme for Territorial Cooperation Spain-France-Andorra 2007-2013 (POCTEFA), during the General Assembly held on 23 November 2009 in Toulouse. In this respect, project actions within the POCTEFA benefit from pooled European funding (ERDF) equivalent to 65% of the total. The remaining 35% corresponds to the self-financed portion of the project. In this way, CTP members and partners in the OPCC project shall make their contributions.
2010-2013: to carry out preliminary work and guarantee the continuity of the Observatory
Actions carried out in 2010 have served to create a common profile for the Pyrenees in order to prepare an initial cross-border report on the characteristics and main challenges facing the mountain regions. In addition, pre-existing data and studies have been compiled to build on existing knowledge. Finally, a first set of indicators has been put together to better evaluate and track climate change phenomenon.
The set of actions carried out in 2010 has served to establish the basis of the Action Programme 2010-2013.
Action Programme 2010-2013 for the Observatory: POCTEFA candidature - OPCC Project
For the 2010-2013 period, the OPCC project (presented to the POCTEFA) shall provide specific scientific content to the Observatory. In this respect, the CTP, as the project coordinator, and its partners have presented their candidacy for the second call of POCTEFA projects, which would provide them with pooled European funding (ERDF) to cover 65% of the costs associated with actions undertaken by the project.
This project aims to support the creation of the Observatory, the commencement of its first tasks, and to ensure its continuity.
The principal aim of the project is to understand the impacts of climate change in the Pyrenees and propose some first indications for adaptation. It attempts to accompany the Observatory as an aid to political decision-making and public awareness for local populations and in general.
Already in 2011 an adaptation study to identify and analyze the most relevant measures and initiatives regarding climate change adaptation, in the Pyrenees as well as Europe, and to enhance these experiences to support the dissemination of good practice in the Pyrenees was launched.
This OPCC project shall serve to attain valuable information on the environmental situation of the mountain region through the study of climate impact on forests, biodiversity, water and natural risks; and to draw some initial conclusions by way of operational recommendations for tourism, agriculture, water management, forest management and forestry, spatial planning, etc.
The main innovation of this project is the creation of a cartographic site on climate change. This site is a shared tool that shall improve public information on climate change in the Pyrenees, create a shared common tool, access to quality information, and enhance project results.
To carry out these actions, new remote sensing technologies (satellite imaging) shall be employed so as to ensure an overall view of the mountain regions.
Actions and tools to serve a single aim: adapting to climate change in the Pyrenees.
All actions and tools developed shall provide different actors in the Pyrenees the keys to adapt to the consequences of climate change.
After 2013: perspectives
Actions to be undertaken after the Action Programme 2010-2013 shall be precisely defined between all CTP partners and socio-economic actors in the territory. They shall:
- Guarantee the continuity of the Observatory
- Ensure financial stability for actions with a view toward ambitious goals
- Convert the Observatory in an operational tool to support decision making
- Establish sustainable associations for the Observatory
- Define a long-term strategic action plan
- Propose a shared strategy for adapting to climate change in the Pyrenees
- Support the preparation of adaption actions in the territory